Friday, June 5, 2015

Sweet Valley High #2: Secrets




Front Cover: What Jessica wants, Jessica gets - even if someone gets hurt!

Back Cover: Jessica would stop at nothing...

Beautiful and ruthless, Jessica Wakefield is determined to be chosen queen of the fall dance at Sweet Valley High. If she can win the contest, she's sure to win Bruce Patman, the most sought-after boy in school.
The only person standing in Jessica's way is Enid Rollins . When Jessica discovers the truth about Enid's past, she knows the crown is within her grasp. She doesn't care that Enid is her twin sister Elizabeth's best friend - or that revealing the secret may cost Enid both her reputation and the boy she loves.
Only Elizabeth can save Enid from Jessica's vicious gossip - but can she stop her scheming twin in time...
Again, I can't remember if I've read this one before, but I'm leaning more towards no. Enid's secret wasn't nearly as dark as I thought it would be. No one ended up dead! haha I'm guessing the first few novels aren't as dark as I remember the series turning. I'm PRETTY SURE it's in High that the characters eventually encounter suicides and drug addictions and sexual assaults. Might it might be that I have to wait for Sweet Valley High: Senior Year or even Sweet Valley University for that.

Again, omg, what a bitch Jessica is! She is definitely going out of her way to make people miserable. She did not have to do what she did to Enid! If Jessica had any sense or decency, she'd have been like, "I don't need to sabotage Enid; I'm fabulous all on my own!"

I knew Ronnie was going to dump Enid. I definitely remember George. I think he meets a tragic end eventually haha

I'm pretty pissed at Enid not believing Elizabeth. Like jfc, that's two books in a row where Elizabeth gets blamed for something Jessica did. I know this is a recurring theme and that I should be so shocked but ugh! haha

Also: when Elizabeth is pissed, she's so deliciously evil! I love how subtle she is in her manipulation and revenge. She is so sneaky and conniving, in a way that makes me respect her. I know a lot of people out there actually like Jessica better than Elizabeth, and think that Elizabeth is truly the bad one because she's such a hyppocrite (at least Jessica doesn't try to hide or pretend like she's better than she is), but I respect Elizabeth so much. I really admire her. She's my hero <3

The subplot in this book was super-minor: Ms Dalton was also the victim of vicious rumors and word spread that she was sleeping with Ken Matthews. Speaking of Ken Matthews, did we ever find out what happened to him? He disappears halfway through, presumably because of the scandal, but do we ever find out the truth about it??

Hook: Can Jessica play Bruce Patman's game and win?
I'm guessing no. This sounds like a Jessica-centric novel, so she'll probably come off as more sympathetic than she has been these past two books. But we'll see. I'm guessing she'll do some crazy schemes and play all sorts of games, but eventually realize that Bruce goes too far, and we'll see her draw a line in the sand and temporarily learn a lesson and see the error of her ways haha

No comments:

Post a Comment