Thursday, August 20, 2015

Sweet Valley High #8: Heart Breaker

Front Cover: Will Jessica break Bill's heart, too?

Back Cover: Catch a wave...

The surf's up in Sweet Valley, and gorgeous Jessica Wakefield is making a big splash with Bill Chase, the hottest surfer in town. But after she tricks him into falling madly in love with her, she ignores him completely. 
To complicate matters, she, quiet DeeDee Gordon is also after Bill. But Jessica has the upper hand. If Bill even looks at DeeDee, Hurricane Jessica blows him off his board and back into her arms. Can Bill escape Jessica's undertow, or is he in over his head?
Again, another book highlighting what a bitch Jessica is! Although, to be fair, I've done similar things as her, just not quite to her extent. But I'm no stranger to stringing guys along and playing a few mind games with them...

The fact that Jessica and Bill were starring in the school play together just came out of nowhere! These books seem to act as if very very very little time has passed between them, so the idea that they were full-blown into production with no mentions of anything in the previous book just seemed abrupt. Then again, I guess most people don't read these for continuity. I used to read them out of order, whenever I could get my hands on them. And I've definitely not read every single one. I'm pretty sure this was my first time reading this one.

The subplot in this one involved Elizabeth getting jealous over Todd's ex-girlfriend having moved back into town. I know there's about a bajillion continuity errors between Twins and High, to the point where each series is essentially meant to be independent of each other (both of them rehashing pretty much the same themes and similar plots, just targeted at slightly different age groups), but now I'm wondering if Patsy was mentioned Twins. I'm thinking not, because I don't remember her at all.

I hate how half of Todd and Elizabeth's fights stem from Elizabeth being stupid and not just TALKING TO TODD to clear the air! Then again, I can't really speak...

Hook: Roger and Lila have big surprises in store for them
Pretty much the weakest hook ever, but then again, this book actually tried to set things up for it in advance. Elizabeth finds out that Roger works as a janitor in her father's building, not just to make extra money, but because his family is so poor, they wouldn't even be able to afford rent without him working. Of course, Roger has a crush on Lila, who is filthy stinking rich. So I'm guessing the next novel will either have Roger somehow working in Lila's house, thus exposing his secret, or Lila will somehow fall for him, Roger will try to keep his secret, but it'll get out and Lila will ruin him. Either way, Roger's secret will get out and Lila will ruin him and then see the error of her ways and then it'll all be back to status quo haha

I would really like a story about Roger and his background, so I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment